- First step: have your training programme assessed and approved (see notes below)
- Have your manuscript approved by your supervisor and submit the final version in Hora Finita
Which steps are to be taken first?
- Ask your supervisor to check the courses, trainings and activities done, in Hora Finita
- After approval by the supervisor, you are expected to submit a request to the PhD committee of the Research Institute, to assess the completed training programme in the manner established (see link in 'Downloads' below)
- Only after approval of the portfolio, submit the manuscript in Hora Finita
- Submit the final version of your manuscript to your supervisor(s) and after approval submit this version in Hora Finita
- Meanwhile the supervisor submits the doctorate committee in Hora Finita (see Committee of Assessment)
Note 1: Although Hora Finita asks a check for plagiarism, this is not necessary to do, as VU Amsterdam does not have an appropriate progamme available yet.
Note 2: Article 16.2b Doctorate Regulations contains an error:
It says: (..) . (..).
This should be like this: 'The Dissertation shall consist of either a single academic discourse on a given subject or a collection of a number of separate academic articles, , (..)'.
This will be edited in the Doctorate Regulations on short term.
Note 3: To avoid the members of the Doctorate Board to receive an invitation for assessment without a link to the manuscript, it is important to first upload the manuscript and then confirm the proposal of the Doctorate Board in Hora Finita.
Your final manuscript PDF to upload in Hora Finita
- Certificates to be uploaded in Hora Finita, to prove completed courses and activities
Requirements & instructions for the submission of the final manuscript:
- The content of the manuscript must be final and complete; no changes are allowed after the manuscript has been submitted for examination by the Doctorate Board. The only exceptions are corrections to the layout and design, typing errors, publishing details, ISBN and acknowledgements
- The manuscript must be submitted as a PDF:
Without cover page and acknowledgements; Without the academic title page (this needs to be uploaded in Hora Finita, see Title Page); With summaries in English and/or in Dutch: If the dissertation is written in Dutch, then a summary in Dutch and an English translation of the title and summary of the contents will be appended to the dissertation. If the dissertation is written in English, then an English summary of the contents must be appended to the dissertation (and eventually in Dutch (not mandatory). The content of the summaries in different languages must be identical
Note 4: Contact the contactperson of your Research Institute (see 'Downloads' below) to approve your portfolio .
Note 5: Did you start your PhD trajectory before 1 April 2015?
PhD candidates who entered into employment at VU Amsterdam before 1 April 2015 and who were not given the opportunity to be admitted to the PhD trajectory before to 1 April 2015 will not be obliged to comply with the training requirements, but will retain the entitlement to do so. The starting date of the trajectory is evidenced from the decision by the College of Deans/Rector Magnificus VU Amsterdam, as listed in Hora Finita.