General privacy statement
Amsterdam UMC, hereinafter also referred to as “we” or “us”, is a legal entity governed by public law, operating under the name Amsterdam UMC, and registered at the Chamber of Commerce. In this text, Amsterdam UMC means both Amsterdam UMC and its legal predecessors, VUmc and AMC.
Amsterdam UMC’s primary objectives are to provide medical care and to carry out scientific research and teaching. Safeguarding the privacy of patients, employees, students, visitors (including to its website) and others, including the safeguarding of the confidentiality of information, is a fundamental part of the aforementioned objectives of Amsterdam UMC. Against that background, Amsterdam UMC is committed to protecting your personal details and to carefully processing your personal information (“personal data”) in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other relevant privacy and healthcare legislation.
To enable you to use this website effectively, Amsterdam UMC must collect, store, or otherwise process your personal data. Personal data is information that can be used to identify an individual – your personal data includes your name and address, for example, or your email address. As defined by the GDPR, Amsterdam UMC is the data controller in relation to your personal data that we collect and process via this website. In this context, Amsterdam UMC ensures that the collection and processing of this personal data is carried out with care, in accordance with the relevant privacy legislation. Amsterdam UMC has appointed a Data Protection Officer, whose contact details are shown under Point 9 of this privacy statement. In this online privacy statement, we would like to inform you about how Amsterdam UMC collects, uses, shares, and protects personal data, what your rights are, and how you can exercise them. This online privacy statement applies to this website. This online privacy statement also applies to Amsterdam UMC’s other websites, unless Amsterdam UMC provides a privacy statement with different content for visitors to the other websites.
Personal data, purposes, and retention periods
Amsterdam UMC only collects personal data via this website if it is necessary to enable you to use this website and the services available through this website. Your personal data will not be used for purposes other than those for which you have provided us your personal data, unless we have obtained your specific permission to use it for another purpose, we have to comply with legal obligations, or if we need the personal data in order to uphold the legitimate interests of Amsterdam UMC. Below are some examples:
- If you ask us in an email message for information about Amsterdam UMC, then we will use your email address and other information you have provided to us to reply to your request.
- If you send us a curriculum vitae (CV) to apply for a job online, we will use the information you have sent us to see whether there is a suitable vacancy for you at Amsterdam UMC.
- Legitimate interests of Amsterdam UMC, for which your personal data may be processed, include optimizing the quality of services we provide, informing you about other services we offer, or defending Amsterdam UMC or an Amsterdam UMC employee in the event of a complaint or legal proceedings. Amsterdam UMC collects the following personal data via this website for the following purposes:
|Personal data||Processing purpose|
|Name, address, gender, patient number, email address, telephone number, primary care physician, insurance details, additional explanatory information provided by you.||To offer you the opportunity to make an appointment with a care provider, to alter your data, to ask questions about other subjects, to get in contact with Amsterdam UMC or to share your complaints or experiences with Amsterdam UMC.|
|First name, surname, address, email address, your questions and comments, telephone number, date of birth, place of birth, nationality, work experience, and the documents you have uploaded.||To give you the opportunity to communicate with Amsterdam UMC about vacancies, internships, or volunteer positions at Amsterdam UMC and to take part in the related application procedures, or to be otherwise in contact with Amsterdam UMC|
|Name, personal AGB code; AGB code and address details of your organization, telephone number, and your patient’s health and other data.||Services for care providers.|
|Your IP address. An IP address is a number allocated to your computer whenever you access the internet.||To enable communication between your computer or telephone and the Amsterdam UMC website. IT security, diagnostic purposes, for recognizing trends in how our website is used, and for carrying out performance analyses.|
|All personal data listed under 1 to 4 of the foregoing||For assessing the quality of and making improvements to the website and the services available through it.|
|All personal data listed under 1 to 4 of the foregoing||To fulfil legal obligations. For legitimate interests of Amsterdam UMC: dealing with complaints and legal and other proceedings.|
Lawful basis: in principle, Amsterdam UMC collects and processes your personal data through this website only:
- if you voluntarily give your consent, as a result of visiting the website or using services provided by Amsterdam UMC through the website;
- if Amsterdam UMC is obligated to do so by law; or
- to uphold the legitimate interests of Amsterdam UMC.
If you no longer wish Amsterdam UMC to process your personal data, you may withdraw your consent. Amsterdam UMC will then cease processing your personal data, unless the law or legitimate interests of Amsterdam UMC or of a third party prohibits this. If Amsterdam UMC ceases processing your personal data at your request, it may result in your no longer being able to use the website or the services available through it.
Retention periods: Amsterdam UMC does not retain your personal data any longer than is necessary for the purpose for which you made the data available, unless a longer period of retention is needed to comply with a legal obligation or to uphold a legitimate interest of Amsterdam UMC. Personal data provided by you to Amsterdam UMC in the context of a job application procedure will be retained for up to four weeks after the conclusion of said procedure, unless you have consented to its retention for a longer period of time.
Special personal data: in principle, Amsterdam UMC does not collect special personal data via the website. Special personal data includes information about race, political persuasions, religion, beliefs, sex life or health, biometric data, and genetic data.
You have the following rights regarding your personal data that we collect through this website:
- Viewing: you may ask Amsterdam UMC to view and issue you a copy of your personal data that Amsterdam UMC processes;
- Correcting: if your personal data that Amsterdam UMC processes is not correct, you may ask Amsterdam UMC to correct it;
- Deleting: if you no longer consent to your personal data being processed by Amsterdam UMC or if you believe that the processing of your personal data by Amsterdam UMC is no longer necessary for the purpose for which you made it available to Amsterdam UMC, or if it is being unlawfully processed, you may ask Amsterdam UMC to delete the personal data in question;
- Restricting: if you dispute the correctness of the processing of your personal data or have made an objection thereto, you may ask Amsterdam UMC to do nothing with the data except store it during the period in which the dispute or objection persists;
- Objecting: if you doubt whether your data is being lawfully processed by Amsterdam UMC, you may make an objection against the processing of your personal data;
- Data portability: if you have provided personal data to Amsterdam UMC and Amsterdam UMC processes the data digitally, you may ask Amsterdam UMC to make the personal data available to you in digital form.
To exercise the aforementioned rights, you should submit a written request to Amsterdam UMC via email@example.com. Amsterdam UMC will deal with your request within the relevant statutory period. Amsterdam UMC will honor your request, if and to the extent that it is within your rights.
Sharing and passing on your personal data
Amsterdam UMC shall ensure that your personal data is not issued to third parties and that access to your personal data by third parties is not granted without your prior consent, unless:
- it is necessary for the provision of an Amsterdam UMC service that you are using;
- it is necessary to uphold a legitimate interest of Amsterdam UMC, in which case you will be informed in advance;
- the law obligates Amsterdam UMC to do so; or
- it concerns a supplier to Amsterdam UMC, and only if and to the extent necessary in the context of the support services that the supplier in question provides to Amsterdam UMC.
In this latter case, Amsterdam UMC shall ensure that it concludes a processing agreement with the supplier in question in order to guarantee that the supplier applies the same level of security and confidentiality with regard to your personal data as that applied by Amsterdam UMC. If, in the context of this website being used by you or services being provided to you via this website, personal data is passed on to third parties in countries outside the European Economic Area, which offer no appropriate protection in processing your personal data, Amsterdam UMC will take the measures necessary to ensure that your personal data is processed in accordance with the requirements of European privacy legislation.
Confidentiality and security
Amsterdam UMC has taken appropriate technical and organizational measures to secure your personal data against loss, unauthorized access, or any form of unlawful processing. However, despite the considerable efforts taken by Amsterdam UMC, it is unable to guarantee protection against every single threat. We will tightly restrict all access to your personal data to the best of our ability to those who are involved on our behalf with the provision of services to you and to those who have authorized access within the parameters of the relevant privacy and health-related legislation. The individuals who have access to personal data are obligated to treat your personal data confidentially.
Finally, there are analytic cookies. These cookies are used for collecting and analyzing details about visits to the website, such as click behavior, times of visits, and frequency of visits. Amsterdam UMC uses Google Analytics for this purpose and applies the Dutch Data Protection Authority guide on Google Analytics privacy-friendly settings. This means we are in compliance with the Dutch Telecommunications Act and do not need to ask the permission of visitors to our website for the cookies. We use this anonymized information to improve and modify the website. You can refuse these cookies using your browser settings.
Links to other websites
We may amend this privacy statement if we believe it necessary to do so. Our website always shows the latest version of our online privacy statement and the date of the most recent alteration is at the top of the page. You are advised to visit our website regularly to be sure of being up-to-date with any changes.
Questions, complaints, comments, and objections
If you have any questions, complaints, or comments about this privacy statement, or if you have any objections to your personal data being processed, please inform the Amsterdam UMC Data Protection Officer, Ms J.B.M. Inge, who can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our best to help you. We would also like to inform you that you have the right to submit a complaint to the Dutch Data Protection Authority if you believe that Amsterdam UMC has not processed your personal data in accordance with the relevant privacy legislation.