Check first if you fulfill the requirements:
- The PhD Thesis Design Award is given for the most outstanding cover and lay-out of PhD theses published and defended last year at the Faculty of Medicine at the UvA or the Faculty of Medicine at the VU
- The PhD candidate must be registered with Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School (AMC/UvA) or Hora Finita (VUmc/VU)
- The PhD candidate is available for the Awards Session
- Submit four copies of the PhD thesis and an accompanying letter
- Four copies of the PhD Thesis
- A letter in which the artistic quality of the cover and lay-out is illustrated, and in which the relevance and originality of the thesis design are motivated, is also required
PhD candidates not only spend a lot of time and effort on the content of their theses, but also on the design of the book. The Amsterdam UMC Doctoral School presents an annual awards for PhD thesis with most outstanding cover and lay-out, defended at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Amsterdam or Vrij Universiteit. Nominations can be made by the PhD candidate and are assessed each year by a panel of judges. The thesis cover and lay-out should show artistic quality, relevance, and originality.
A jury of experienced AMC scientists and art experts will independently review all submissions and evaluate the artistic quality, relevance, and originality of the thesis design. The jury decides on the award winner in a jury meeting.
All candidates will receive notification by e-mail from the Doctoral School and learn whether they are nominated. The three nominees will receive further instructions about their presentation at the Awards Session.