- According to the Doctorate Regulations (art. 20), the PhD candidate decides whether the dissertation is printed or reproduced in a similar way. A condition here is that the result must meet requirements of reasonable legibility. The dissertation will be published in a conveniently-sized format and in glue-bound or spiral-bound form, or with a stitched binding. Printing of the dissertation is obligitory
- Make an appointment with the printer of your dissertation. Never print your dissertation before you have received the final decision with the definitive date of your defence from the VU Amsterdam Beadle’s Office (see 'Defence Date')
- You need to send 5 copies of your dissertation to the Beadle by three weeks before the PhD ceremony. Address: Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Bureau Pedel, HG 2D-05, De Boelelaan 1105, 1081 HV Amsterdam. If, for any reason, this is not possible, the Beadle reserves the right to postpone the ceremony to another date.
- The Beadle will make sure that two copies of the dissertation will be received by the University Library and two copies by the VUmc Office of Doctorate Affairs (Bureau Promotiezaken) (one for the Dean and one for the Chair of the public defence)
- The PhD candidate will provide the members of the Thesis Committee with a copy
- Submit the final PhD dissertation in Hora Finita (tab ‘Ceremony’ (Plechtigheid')) and fill in the license agreement. With the license agreement permission is given for online publishing through the digital academic repository of VU University, and where needed, which articles should be placed under embargo for publication
- Final version of the dissertation.
Requirements & instructions for submission of an electronic version of the dissertation
- Convert the dissertation to a PDF or a PDF/A format, as a single or multiple file, without file protection
- Make sure the dissertation is complete (i.e., includes cover page, sections covered by an embargo (even if a permanent embargo) any material appended separately such as supplementary annexes, a propositions sheet, a list of changes made to the dissertation)
- The dissertations’ contents uploaded in Hora Finita must be absolutely identical to the printed version (including the cover, title page, publishing details, layout, orthography, pagination)
- The VU University Library will check the upload and publishes the digital dissertation online in the VU Research Portal (Pure) after approval. The dissertation will be posted automatically in NARCIS as well
- As an alternative the PhD candidate can also click on the link in the Hora Finita Checklist to upload the dissertation
Note: A propositions sheet should not be included as part of the dissertation, but as a separate page.
A PhD defence reimbursement
All PhD candidates that have provided the VU Amsterdam University Library with a free licence for non-exclusive publication of the dissertation in electronic form, if necessary with a temporary publication embargo, are entitled to a PhD defence reimbursement of € 500.
The PhD defence reimbursement is being paid out by the PhD candidate's own Faculty or Department. The signed license certification, which your already needed to upload the manuscript in Hora Finita, is a compulsory attachment when applying for this reimbursement.
Do you want to know what further steps you should take to apply for this reimbursement? Send an email to Department HR.
PhD dissertation compensation: CAO regulation
According to the current medical employment regulations (CAO, art. 17.4.4), the employer grants the PhD candidate who successfully finishes his or her PhD trajectory during his or her employment with a onetime bonus. The bonus amounts to € 750 gross. This bonus will not be credited against other local schemes for PhD candidates. The employer may choose to pay the amount of the bonus in the form of a net expense allowance.
Note that this arrangement only applies to PhD candidates employed at VU University medical center as OIO 'onderzoeker in opleiding'. There are no conditions where the bonus should be spent on. The bonus will be granted only after the PhD ceremony is completed.
Note that the head of department should send a request to department HR to grant the PhD, no later than 3 months after the defence and no later than 6 months after end of employment.
In case of any questions, send an email to Department HR.